How to Get A Cannabis Card in Washington, DC
If you are a resident of Washington, DC, you have a legal right to obtain a cannabis card. If you have been dealing with chronic pain and are in search of a medical alternative, a cannabis card might be your solution. Whether you are getting your cannabis card for the first time or have been on your journey of healing for a while and are in the process of renewal, the steps to obtaining your cannabis card are the same. Here are the steps to obtaining a medical marijuana card.
- A Medical Marijuana Recommendation: The first and most important step is to get a medical professionals recommendation. Medical professionals include: Physician (MD, DO), Nurse Practitioner (APRN/NP), Dentist, Physician Assistant, and Naturopathic Physician. You can use your personal medical professionals only if they have been approved by the Department of Health to recommend use of medicinal cannabis. If you are unsure, here is a recommendation for an approved DC medical professional.
- Submit Your Application to the Department of Health: You can choose to either submit your application online or mail in a paper application. We highly recommend submitting your application online because your application will be processed about a week faster. In addition to submitting your application, you will need the following:
- Medical Professional Recommendation: As stated above, you need to have a record of a medical cannabis card recommendation. Your medical professional will be able to help you and provide you with the paperwork needed.
- Two Proofs of DC Residency: You can choose any of these two to be your proof of DC residency:
- A valid DC driver’s license
- A voter registration card for the District of Columbia
- A pay stub that has been issued within the last 45 days
- A property deed for the District of Columbia
- Tax statement from the previous year
- Rent or Lease agreement in the District of Columbia
- A utility bill (phone, water, sewer, electric, etc.)
- A Photo ID: This can be your driver’s license or any other state government-issued ID. This needs to have your current address in Washington, DC as well. This can also be used as one of your proofs of residency.
- A Headshot of Yourself: This is something a little different than your photo ID. Taken much the same way as the ID, you need to be in front of a clear background, no glasses, and nothing can be covering your hair. This should be taken from the shoulders up.
- Pay the DOH Application Fee: The application fee is $100 for regular income patients. The DOH provides help for those who qualify for low income status by reducing the application fee to $25. If you are applying with low income, you need to provide proof of low income status. The fee for either must be paid with money order, cashiers check or certified check. If you have sent in your application online, you will receive an email that contains a secure payment link. You can then choose to pay your application fee with a debit or credit card.
Congratulations, you have successfully completed all the steps needed in getting your cannabis card. The DOH typically takes up to a month to send your cannabis card by mail. You must have a cannabis card before you can enter a medical marijuana dispensary. If you have any further questions about the application process for obtaining a medical marijuana card, contact one of our experts at Herbal Alternatives today. We would be happy to help you get started on your journey to a more natural form of pain relief.